st. patty's day candies. liquored up.
so there was that.
and then there was the year i got engaged. josh and joey and i went with my old roommate and dear friend jessie (i know. it's a lot of j's) to a st. patty's day party one of her coworkers was throwing. two important things happened at the party: the game taboo and dancing. when someone busted out taboo (if you don't know what taboo is you should find out. it's a wonderful game, which i will not try to explain for fear my description will be irreversibly confusing.) josh and joey and i formed a team. not just any team. the winning team. but we didn't just win. we obliterated the competition. everyone was impressed. i was excessively proud. the dancing came later. parties with dancing are the best kinds of parties. at some point someone put beyonce's "single ladies" song on and we all danced to it. (if you're not familiar with this song, you do not live in this universe. it contains the line "if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it.") there's a picture of me pointing to my ring finger while dancing, which, in retrospect, could be embarrassing but isn't because there are about five other girls in the picture making the same gesture. my oh-so-serious-boyfriend just happened to be feet away. and he just happened to have my engagement ring IN HIS POCKET. and it just so happens that an hour or so before we left for the party he had called my parents to ask for their blessing... don't worry. he didn't propose to me at this random-coworker-of-my-roommate's party after we danced to this song. it happened the next morning and it was quiet and private and only ours. but you can see why i have a soft spot for st. patty's day.
this year, my friends matt and kate invited us over for an irish inspired st. patty's day dinner. at seven-and-a-half months pregnant i'm eating with abandon and having dinner is a pretty exciting event in and of itself, but having dinner with friends was an even happier prospect. so i did what i always do when i'm happy, which is concoct things. irish things. with alcohol.
i started with this betty crocker recipe, which i got a kick out of, and tweaked it only slightly. if you click on the link you will see that the recipe calls for honey flavored whiskey. what is honey flavored whiskey you ask? i haven't a clue, nor could i ever have justified purchasing an entire bottle of it for a first time candy making endeavor. so i improvised.
ingredients for salted whiskey caramels:
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup whiskey (i used johnny walker because the other stuff we have is fancy shmancy)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2-1 tbsp sea salt for topping
to make the salted whiskey caramels:
1. line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and spray it with a ton of cooking spray.
2. in a small pot heat the butter, cream, whiskey, vanilla, and salt and stir it frequently until it boils, then remove it from the heat.
3. in a large pot (i learned this the hard way by using a medium pot. things spilled over. scrubbing the stove top happened.) mix the sugar, corn syrup, and water and heat it on medium-high heat but don't stir it! this is hard because it's fun to stir things on the stove top. heat it until it reaches 310 degrees F. (have i mentioned i have a candy thermometer? well i do. my aunt got it for me and i love it and feel very sophisticated and serious when i'm using it.) this takes a while, and if you're impatient like i am you will stare at the thermometer and wonder why it's not getting hotter faster.
4. when the sugar mixture finally reaches 310 degrees F add the cream mixture. (this is where my spillage happened.) beat it with a whisk and stare at the thermometer again until it reaches 248 degrees F. at least now you have something to do while you wait!
5. pour the caramel into a pan, wait 10 minutes, then sprinkle the sea salt over the top. you can add as much or as little as you like, but i think 1/2 tbsp is the right amount. i added too much and ended up scraping some off. stick the pan in the fridge and let it cool completely before cutting. i'll get to that later.
somehow salted whiskey caramels just didn't seem like enough. i wanted to keep going with the whole candy making thing, so i moved on to bailey's irish cream, which is like a dessert in and of itself. i found and tweaked this recipe and a now i have a new favorite cooking blog!
ingredients for the irish cream chocolate fudge caramels:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup bailey's irish cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups golden syrup or corn syrup (i used a combination of the two)
1 tbsp salt
9 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (i just guestimated 2/3 of a 12 oz. bag)
1 tbsp flaky salt for the top
to make the irish cream chocolate fudge caramels:
1. line a 9x9 pan with either parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray it generously with cooking spray.
2. combine the heavy cream, irish cream, sugar, and syrup in a large pot and heat over medium high heat until it boils and reaches 250 degrees F. remove it from the heat and let it sit for five minutes.
3. when the five minutes are up, stir in the chocolate chips and pour it into the pan. sprinkle it with salt and then stick it in the fridge to cool completely before cutting.
to cut the salted whiskey caramels and the irish cream chocolate fudge caramels:
1. do not do anything even remotely similar to what i did. i don't know why the simplest tasks are sometimes the hardest for me. i think it's fair to say that no two pieces of candy turned out the same size. and i was cutting a SQUARE.
the truth is, the sizes of the candies didn't matter. i even wrapped each one individually in parchment paper, which is one of the fanciest things i have ever done. the dinner was delicious, the company made it all the more so, and the candies were a hit!
buy red bottomsReplyDelete
ray ban sunglasses
nike blazer low
michael kors canada
polo ralph lauren outlet
cheap jordans free shipping
cheap ray bans
Decir que ciertos modelos Nautilus (sí, el 5711 / 1A actual y el 3700 / 1A clásico) son en gran parte responsables de la tendencia generalizada del cuerpo de acero más la cara azul,replicas relojes sería una subestimación masiva. Pero hay otros hallazgos fabulosos dentro de la icónica línea de relojes deportivos de Patek que no solo tienen combinaciones de colores similares sino también más funciones. Tome el calendario anual Patek Philippe Nautilus con fases lunares, por ejemplo; Si bien no es un modelo nuevo, lo que es nuevo para 2019 es la codiciada variante de esfera degradada de azul a negro en relieve horizontal. Con la excepción de la actualización de color, todo lo demás permanece igual, desde la caja de acero con forma de ojo de buey de 40.5 mm hasta el brazalete integrado de acero hasta el diseño del dial con hora, replicas tag heuerdía, mes, día, fase lunar e indicación de 24 horas.ReplyDelete
When I left the firm for good after my son Coach Outlet Online Store was born, I left without bitterness or regret. I had given it a good shot, but the pressures of Coach Outlet Clearance Sale firm life no Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses longer fit with who I was as a mother. I was no less ambitious than I had been before I had children.ReplyDelete
I wish someone would have the courage to ask the hate mongers to stop New Jordan Shoes 2020 defaming the name and message of the Christ through their rhetoric. If they want to follow Fake Yeezys the letter of Leviticus, let them call themselves Leviticans and not Christians. I dare any of these hate mongers to show me where in the teachings of The Christ it calls for the exclusion, degradation and death Michael Kors Bags Outlet of any of God creations.
Michael Shannon: Oddly enough, I wasn very familiar with Elvis. I wasn a huge Elvis fan and I wasn really familiar with his story. But I read the script and I was very charmed by it. If you decide that you do not want cookies to be set on your device by our third party Cheap Real Yeezys Partners, you can adjust the settings on your internet browser and choose from the available Cookies setting Nike Air Force 1 Cheap Outlet to best meet your preferences. While setting options may vary from browser to browser, you can generally choose to reject some or all cookies, or instead to receive a notification when a cookie is being placed on your device. For more information, please refer to the user Cheap Jordans Online help information for your browser of choice.