sometimes you need
without the flour getting in the way.
are you ready for this much chocolate?
ingredients (there are only FOUR):
1 1/8 cups dark chocolate chips (think 60% or higher.)
1 stick butter (salted. always salted.)
3/4 cup sugar
to make the cake:
2. melt the chocolate and butter together. i did this on the stovetop, though you could do it in a double boiler or even in the microwave.
3. stir 1/4 cup of the sugar and the egg yolks together and slowly add the beautifully yellow mixture to the melted chocolate and butter.
4. beat the egg whites with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, then slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until the mixture totally defies reason and transforms from a kind of gelatinous looking goo into fluffy whiteness and stiff peaks form. this should take about 5 minutes.
5. gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until just combined and then pour the batter into a greased 8" cake pan. bake for 40 minutes.
6. when the cake is cooled remove it from the pan and sprinkle some powdered sugar on it just before serving to make it look pretty.
fudgy, rich, delicious chocolate heaven.
savor every bite!